Monday, April 2, 2007

Wish Me Luck

I applied for seed funding from Ycombinator for their summer 2007 funding cycle. I obviously think my idea is great or I wouldn't have applied. What concerns me most is YCombinator's stated belief that it's the person who makes a company successful and not so much the idea they have. I believe in that too.

The reason it concerns me is that on paper, I don't look so hot. I'm a high school dropout with no college degree who works in an I.T. department at a company in Maine. This is not the stuff of legends.

I know the list of billionares worldwide is filled with college dropouts but it's also a fact that being a college dropout doesn't mean you should be on the list.

I hope that YCombinator can see what I've written and sense the desire I have to run a startup. If I don't succeed getting funding through YC I am confident that I will find a way to bootstrap, moonlight, get angel funding, whatever. I will do it regardless.

Wish me luck, people.

3 comments:

JeanHuguesRobert said...

Wish you luck!

John said...

Hey, thanks. Unfortunately, I was rejected. :)

Much appreciated anyway!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i discovered your site through Ja Kel Daily Dot Com from the review exchange program he is running. I am running a similar promotion on my website where you can win £10 or the equivelent in your currency for writing a review of my blog. Full details can be found here.

http://www.andy-coates.com/blog/2007/05/08/win-10-for-reviewing-andy-coates-dot-com/

There is some good content on your site and i like the style of writing so ill definately be back

All the best

Andy